
I love Star Wars; When I was a little girl when my father showed me the movies and I got even more into it when the Clone Wars started airing. It became sort of a weekly ritual for some classmates and I to meet at one of our places and watch the newest episode on Sunday. That said, despite my biggest love being the prequel era, the Clone Wars especially, I always had this odd love for the Rebel fleet troopers. Besides seeing them in A New Hope I also had the 2008 LEGO Rebel scout speeder set and so had four of these little guys in Lego. And I marvelled at their simple attire, you had the Storm Troopers in their pristine white armour, the Rebels on Hoth in functional cold weather gear and the Commandos on Endor in their camouflage ponchos; Yet these guys were rocking simple shirts and vests as well as these iconic weird helmets. At the time I had no context for what their deal was and so they seemed so out of place and I think that is what drew me to them. Unlike the professional looking rebels in The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi these guys looked like you handed some office worker a gun and told them to go hold that ship corridor.

Almost 1 1/2 decade later and I learn about Star Wars Legion and see that they have them as miniatures. So I bought them almost immediately, but seeing that they were made from soft PVC plastic I got demotivated and put them away turning towards different projects. That was until two months ago when I got really into Star Wars Unlimited, specifically because I saw they had cards for the Fleet Troopers(you can see one of those cards in the top image). It immediately sparked that love again and then two days ago I grabbed one of them and put her together, ready to paint.

Sadly my initial aversion to their material was not unfounded and these sculpts are really rough, with janky edges, awful to remove mould lines and worst of all they have no sculpted eyes, just pits. All in all, despite loving these guys I decided not to invest too much effort into these miniatures as to not get disheartened when something goes wrong. That said, despite being such a rushed and simple paint job I am very happy with the result. I think my attempts at more messy and sketchy painting is starting to bear fruits and I am starting to get better results in shorter amounts of time. I also sat down and put together a painting guide on how I did it, you can find it over on my Patreon
here for the price of a coffee and bun. I had a lot of fun painting this miniature regardless of the troubles, it was a joy reminiscing about how I felt about them back as a kid. Do you have a _glup shitto' that you were obsessed/fascinated with as a kid? I would love to know!
No comments:
Post a Comment