In all seriousness, when I saw Isstvan Beach Club were putting on an event centred around the 3rd Edition Eye of Terror campaign supplement my brain must have short circuited, because I had bought the ticket two minutes later. I have loved 3rd edition ever since my mom's friend borrowed me his 3rd edition Rulebook(sorry I never returned it). To me it is peak Warhammer 40k. The event stipulates armies of 1250 points, so I sat down and put together a list; This post will be about that list, what I included and where I stand hobby wise.
I have been collecting miniatures that are suitable for inquisitorial forces for years now, I literally have a big plastic tub with 'INQUISITION' on it filled to the brim with all kinds of kits. I also own both codices put out during 3rd edition 'Daemon Hunters' and 'Witchhunters'. So it was obvious which army I was going to play. Unlike Imperial Agents in 10th edition that army lists for the Inquisition in 3rd edition were a lot more flexible with customizable Inquisitors and retinues; This is in part due to the flexibility of Wargear and customizable characters for most of 40k's history. The flavour also came in the ability to ally in either Space Marines or Imperial Guard as well as a handful of Chapter Approved armies. I ended up choosing to use Witchhunters as the basis for my army, for no other reason than my Witchhunters book is shinier than the Daemon Hunters one.
The idea with this list was to abuse the hell out of the various supplement armies that cropped up in Chapter Approved and the Citadel Journal to make an army with as many disparate parts as possible to reflect the desperate nature of the force. To that end I have included 4 different units all from non-codex army lists, you will see them as they pop up.
HQ
I started out with an Inqusitor lord; I decided to theme the entire force around the Ciaphas Cain novels, since they are peak 3rd edition to me and work well with including Tau in it. So my Inquisitor will be Amberley Vail of Ordo Xenos. Her retinue will consist of one Acolyte, Zemelda Cleat who was a fast food vendor who got caught up in a Genestealer Cults cleansing action and promptly recruited by Vail. I will probably use an Escher juve to represent her. The Chirurgeon will be represented by tech priest Felicia Tayber(or well Magos by that point in time) as I could find no better way to include her. The Familiar will be just your average servo skull. The Penitent is her ever reliable and eccentric Psyker Rakel. The first Sage will be her Savant Caractacus Mott and the second the Tau diplomat El'Hassai who found himself respecting Caine for personally escorting him back to safety through a hostile city; This is where I will be using the 2001 LE Ethereal. Lastly are two Veteran Guardsmen; First of the bunch is Simeon a disgraced Commissar(I know he is dead, but I have a fitting model, so whatever); The second more importantly will be no other than Gunner Ferik Jürgen, Cain's blank sidekick. I have acquired a Valhallan with Melta just for this purpose. This rounds out Vail and her retinue and this is also where the first non-codex unit comes in; The Deathwatch Kill Team is from Chapter Approved 2003 and allows me to field up to ten of the black clad marines. I decided to stick with the minimum five, but promoted the captain to a librarian. I happen to have a not insignificant amount of the metal upgrades(shoulder pads, heads and bolters) so I can build them era appropriate. Fitting with the anti alien theme I made sure to make the squad as fiery as possible in terms of equipment.Troops
This is where things get wild. Right off the bat we have an Arbites Patrol Team from the Adeptus Arbites army list in Citadel Journal 29. I have a good 12 of the old 2nd edition Arbites and so these were an auto include; This is also where I had to ask for some feedback from the event organizers about their transport. In lore it is said that the Repressor is a riot suppression vehicle utilized by both the Sororitas and the Arbites, yet only the Sororitas can use it in game. In the end I settled on proxying a Rhino since it is built on that Chassis. I did not include it here, but I will have to add the bulldozer blades and extra armour upgrade to reflect the Repressor more closely.Next on our list is a squad that I had to do, Caine's Heroes. I decided to fill out one of the mandatory troops choices with a squad of Stormtroopers in rules, but use Valhallan models on the table. To add Caine in I attached a Witch Hunter priest as a proxy. I felt it was a fitting joke, since the priest makes the squad charge into melee whenever they can, reflecting Caine's bad luck of always ending up in the thick of it. Just like with the Chimera I might still have to add some wargear to reflect Caine's lucky nature like a Rosarius.
To fill out the other mandatory troops slot I just added more Stormtroopers, no funny shenanigans with those, they are just Stormtroopers. I am planning to either make a mixed unit of Kasrkin, the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and the old 2nd edition Stormtroopers.
Last unit is the third instance of a non-Codex unit, this time it is an Elysian Drop troops unit and no not the ones from Forge World. In addition to the Armageddon global campaign, Chapter Approved 2003 gave us the Armageddon Imperial Guard regiments, debuting rules for some of the most popular regiments to this day: The Armageddon Ork Hunters, the Death Korps of Krieg, the Savlar Chem Dogs and the Elysian Drop Troops.
There were not just rules, but also a modelling guide for how to build these soldiers, so I decided to kitbash a whole unit just for this army. These guys play pretty similar to normal Stormtroopers, but instead of a dedicated transport they gain a special type of deep strike. Usually it divides your army into two waves, one that deep strikes in the firs turn, the other arriving as normal with a +1 bonus; Here this will just mean I get to deep strike this unit turn 1.
That rounds out my troops choices, I will have to build and paint quite a lot of miniatures for this army and it will not be easy.
Heavy Support
Last of the bizarre non-codex units is a hunting party of Kroot, courtesy of our dear comrade El'Hassai and the reason there will be no Sisters of Battle in my army. The Kroot Carnivore list was added in Chapter Approved 2003 as well and plays heavily into the adaptability aspect of the Kroot. It also allows you to ally 0-1 of every unit into any army that has all mandatory slots filled and is not Space Marines or Sisters of Battle; This was released before we got the Witchhunters and so I checked with the organizer yet again and got confirmation that I can use them if I do not field Sisters. The unit is the bare minimum and while they have the same BS3 all Kroot share, their weapons all have the Sniper keyword and thus are a nice unit to plink away at squads from afar.First Steps
Now that I have a somewhat coherent list I have to gather all the miniatures necessary. I originally wanted to assemble the army with just what I had, but I got a bit carried away so I had to buy some extra miniatures. I do not yet know how to best tackle assembling this army, so I will put the progress for each section here to give you an idea where I am at.
Vail and her retinue
First I had to put together a rough plan for how to design Vail and her retinue, so here is a crude graphic:
Of all these miniatures I was originally missing the Valhallan with Melta and the Callidus. I have since managed to get the Valhallan for a fair price from a great chap over on Instagram. I will have to see where I get the Callidus from.
Deathwatch Kill Team
On this front I have all the miniatures I need, I just need to gather the pieces and assemble them. I might try and buy some molded chapter shoulder pads to add extra flavor, but that is just for vanity and not strictly necessary.
Caine's Heroes
I managed to get a Caine proxy by Brother Vinni which I slightly modified(heated up the neck and made the pose straighter and replaced the knock off bolter with a laspistol) to fit in. The Valhallans and Chimera I already owned, inlcuding a cheeky Valhallan tank rider to add to the Chimera. I have spent a day or so assembling the Chimera and primed one of the Valhallans to put together a test scheme for the 597th regiment using the book cover of Vainglorious as reference.
![]() |
| There were two different references for the 597th uniform color, I ended up going for the Khaki one since it looked cooler. |
Stormtroopers
I still need to decide whether to make this a unit of all kinds of Stormtroopers or commit to one. I did already assemble their Chimera with the old Forge World door and sigil.
Elysian Drop Troops
The article in Chapter Approved showed how to kitbash these guys from Scouts with a headswap. I own enough scouts to pull it off, but i need to figure out a way to recast the heads from the Imperial Guard Tank Crew so I have multiple of them to give to the scouts. I tried using blue stuff, but the molds came out middling at best, so more testing is required.
Arbites Patrol
As stated previously I own plenty of the old Arbites, so no need to get more miniatures. I also painted one of them with a bolter earlier this year, so the paint scheme is already determined. What I do need to get ahold of is a Suppressor upgrade kit and seeing how rare and expensive these are, might have to find an alternative.
Kroot Hunter Kindred
I did not own any Kroot before this, so I went to the local second hand online store and picked up five pre-built Kroot and since the rules state you need one as the unit leader I also bought a Shaper. I ended up paying around 30 quid for the whole squads which is an alright price. Only issue is that two of the Kroot have one arm each replaced by a Tau one which I will need to replace. Oh and if you are wondering why there are two metal Tau, well they were cheap and I just really wanted to pick up some.
The End?
This is the rough outline for my army as it stands now. I might switch around some gear and if possible add at least one vehicle, but I think this is pretty much what I want. I will try and post semi-regular updates on this project as it takes shape. I am really looking forward to this!








No comments:
Post a Comment