29/06/2026

Warlords Era Shaolin Monk

After one hell of a heatwave I have finally picked up a brush again. Well I did try and paint during the heatwave, but honestly the paint dried so damn quick I did not want to risk my brushes further. In any case, I think all my energy and desire to paint must have been stored during the heatwave, since the first miniature I decided to paint breezed by in an instant. The Miniature in question is a martial artist by Northstar military figures which I am using as a Shaolin Monk for my assorted collection of Warlords era miniatures. He may also come in handy for my Boxer Rebellion, since the traditional garb of the Shaolin monastery has changed very little between those points in time. 

While this guy was a very quick paintjob, I had some trouble with the skin. The issues are simply due to my attempts to emulate the rough sketchy style of artists like Jose Davinci; Obviously they manage to clean it up quite well and their subjects tend to be larger in scale, but I am trying to emulate that on a smaller scale to speed up my painting. With that obviously come some growing pains. That said I still think he turned out great and I should not be overly critical of myself here. I am not 100% sure I like the color of the robe, but I have at least another 8 monks to test out different schemes. 
I will try and get out my photo equipment tomorrow and take some proper photos of this guy, the Chindit and the Jesuit Priest. Once that is done I will try and put together some painting recipes for all of those. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Legion: Tantive IV Base Painting Guide

When I showed off my Rebel Fleet Trooper I uploaded the painting guide for them on my Patreon ; What I omitted at the time was how I painte...